The Time to Act Is Now!

Friends, I bring you a post this evening about a very important topic: A Curbed.com New York neighborhood naming contest! A close personal associate of Starts & Fits has entered a potentially winning entry, which as of this writing is one vote shy of winning the luxurious grand prize, one night’s stay at the Hotel on Rivington! So vote for “The Nightie Drawer” now, or at least before 1 p.m. tomorrow. E-mail all your friends and tell them to vote too! All right, here’s the offer: Anyone who votes for The Nightie Drawer in Curbed’s ‘Hoodwinked neighborhood naming contest gets to come party with us when we throw the raging hotel party that will accompany any potential grand prize winnings. Dude, we’re going to totally trash that place.

But don’t just vote for the invite. This is seriously the best entry on its own merits. First of all, it is one of the few entries that doesn’t resort to the AcROnYm naming conventions that are so overused. SoHo, TriBeCa and even NoLIta, fine, but beyond that, and it’s a cliche. Second, ever notice all those super-wide streets that run right into the lower East River? I’m talking about Pike Slip, Rutgers Slip, Market Slip, Catherine Slip, Gouverneur Slip, Peck Slip, Old Slip, and even the little-known Burling Slip at the foot of John Street. Ever wondered why all those streets are called “Slips”? Well, I wonder too. But why not name this area along the Lower East Side and the Financial District “The Nightie Drawer” to liven it up a little? That’s exactly what has been proposed: A neighborhood name that harkens back to the history of this once bustling seaport and dock district and at the same time injects it with a little 21st-century sex appeal!

(Above photo of the Lower East Side taken by yours truly on 4/6/04 from the observation room of the AIG headquarters.)

- First Anniversary Contest: ‘Hoodwinked! [Curbed]
- ‘Hoodwinked Polls Are Open: Vote Early and Often! [Curbed]
- ‘Hoodwinked Finalist #3: The Nightie Drawer [Curbed]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Time to Act Is Now!

1. mike says:

I wish I had read this before I voted… sorry :-(

That one was a close second, but after trying to find the entrance to the bike path of the Manhattan Bridge on foot and getting a first hand tour of RAMBO, the name is pretty appropriate.

2. AD says:

Oh well, thanks for the moral support Mike. If it comes down to one vote, I know who to blame. :-)

3. Anonymous says:

You know the Nightie Drawer and RAMBO have been duking it out since yesterday but mysteriously, Bloomsbergbury went from 50 votes to 500 votes in less than two hours last night. You know if you clear out your cookies you can revote at will. Hmmm.

The whole contest smells a bit fishy if you ask me.

4. Anonymous says:

Duh. They’re called “slips” because when Manhattan was a thriving seaport, there were large docks, or “slips” all over the waterfront. And it’s really not that funny an entry

5. futurebird says:

My bet is that last comment was from the uh “bloomsbergberry” That thing is winning now! I had some respect for “RAMBO” untill I found out it was not even orginal. Someone has a 2002 NYT article that mentions it!

6. Anonymous says:

I was one of the people who submitted RAMBO – re: your comment.

Never saw the NYT article, can’t speak for the other guy.

Was trying to explain to a friend where I live a few weeks ago. We started messing around with acronyms and RAMBO came from the conversation. So there you go.

We actually use it in our neighborhood now – can’t see anyone actually adopting the Nightie Drawer or Bloomsbergbury.

7. AD says:

Well, despite my obvious partisanship, I kind of like WoBro. Rationale: “Whoa, Bro.”

8. Anonymous says:

There should have been more love for “FLATenD.” Although it’s an acronym, it’s exactly what Ratner is doing to the neighborhood. Too bad the writeup was not so funny. RAMBO is just a semi-obvious riff off of the lame Walentas-inspired DUMBO (which really should just be DUMB–Manhattan Bridge *Overpass*? wtf?? if you have to strain to gain the acronym, you need another idea).

9. ryan says:

FLATenD my personal favorite, and you’re right, the write up didn’t do a damn thing for it. At least it beat ToeHo – yuck.