|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
|The Castro Building
43 West 23rd Street
New York, N.Y. 10010
West 23rd Street between Fifth & Sixth Avenues, and back to West 24th Street.
Chelsea / Flatiron District
June 30, 1893, to May 30, 1894
Within the Ladies' Mile Historic District.
Originally a warehouse. Now administrative offices for the Girl Scouts and Touro College's Graduate School of Education & Psychology, and also the Moda Furniture store, which at the time this was taken on May 29, 2006, was offering a big sale.
Intricate geometry for a building meant to serve as a warehouse. Four two-story columns support four two-story pilasters (two thin, two wide), within which three one-story pilasters support three one-story columns.
The cat motif would appear again at the Rumford Falls Power Company Building.
The West 23rd Street facade.