|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
156 West 57th Street
New York, N.Y. 10019
Carnegie Hall occupies the east side of Seventh Avenue from West 56th Street to West 57th Street; Hardenberg's addition is on the 57th Street side.
1889-1895; office wing, 1892-1895, both designed by William B. Tuthill with Richard Morris Hunt and Adler & Sullivan; studio tower, 1896-1897, designed by Hardenbergh with Richard Morris Hunt and Dankmar Adler.
"Dour Renaissance Revival engulfed in studios and other appendices bristling above and around it. World-famous more for its acoustics than its architectural envelope, it was threatened in the early 1960s when Lincoln Center's Avery Fisher Hall rose up. Violinist Isaac Stern and others, raising a public outcry, saved it. It is now solidly booked. Lovingly restored, grander than ever, its familiar form is reappreciated (urban architectural tastes are sometimes fickle: see the story of the Jefferson Market Courthouse)."
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. Designated a New York City individual landmark in 1967.
The City Review
New York Architecture Images
The addition by Hardenbergh, Richard Morris Hunt and Dankmar Adler blends in seamlessly with the rest of the hall.