|The Second Hotel Champlain
136 Clinton Point Drive
Plattsburgh, N.Y. 12901
On a promontory overlooking Lake Champlain three miles south of downtown Plattsburgh.
First a hotel, then a Jesuit monastery, now the main building at Clinton Community College.
Designed for the same client (the Delaware & Hudson Railroad), as the Second Fort William Henry Hotel. Note the similarities.
Ludlow & Peabody assisted Hardenbergh on this building.
BooksTolles, Bryant F., Jr. Resort Hotels of the Adirondacks: The Architecture of a Summer Paradise, 1850-1950. (Hanover, N.H.: University Press of New England, 2003.) Chapter 5: "Henry J. Hardenbergh, Ludlow and Peabody, and the Delaware & Hudson Hotels."
The west facade faces the campus, a lawn, driveway and parking.
The view as one approaches by car.
The much narrower south facade faces a lawn and wooded area.
The east facade faces Lake Champlain. It shares many similarities with the west facade. A new wing, at the right in the photo, was added in 1997.
The rear of the building with its crazy roofline and many wings.
The elegant colonnade at the building's entrance. A similar one exists on the east side.
The view from the town marina.