|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
4 Irving Place
New York, N.Y. 10003
Entire block bounded by Irving Place, Third Avenue, East 14th Street and East 15th Street.
The Union Square Area
1915; a tower was added at the corner of 14th and Irving in 1926, designed by Warren & Wetmore
ConEd headquarters and ground floor retail.
"Hardenbergh, who gave us the Dakota, the Plaza Hotel, and the Art Students League, here delivered a very dull swan song for an establishment client — profitable no doubt, but a far cry from his earlier glories. A landmark clock tops this, Con Ed's GHQ, on the site of the original Academy of Music. The academy's namesake across the street, an aging movie palace, became The Palladium, now demolished for the NYU dormitory."
New York Architecture Images
Hardenberg here returned to the horizontal scoring used in the Textile Building and at the Whitehall Building. One is glad he omitted it at the Plaza.