|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
|The Textile Building
66 Leonard Street
New York, N.Y. 10013
Leonard Street and Church Street, southeast corner
Sept. 9, 1900, to Sept. 30, 1901
47 condominium apartments sharing a rooftop terrace, and ground-floor retail space, including the Chinese restaurant 66, where Jean-Georges Vongerichten is the chef
This building is part of the TriBeCa East Historic District, designated in 1992.
A precursor to ConEd's headquarters. Here we see Hardenbergh using the deep horizontal scoring that would be used there and at the Whitehall Building. This building was used for many years for textile manufacturing and showrooms. In 1999, it was converted by the architect Karl Fischer of Montreal into 47 condominium apartments at a cost of $40 million.
The building seen from the northwest.