|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
|101 & 103 West 73rd Street
West 73rd Street and Columbus Avenue, northwest corner
New York, N.Y. 10023
Upper West Side
Sept. 14, 1879, to June 21, 1880
Apartments and ground floor stores.
"These houses are another product of the collaboration of the client (Clark) and the architect (Hardenbergh) of the Dakota Apartments."
These buildings are part of the Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District, designated in 1990.
These are the oldest surviving Hardenberg-designed buildings in New York. Before he designed the Dakota and the row of fancier rowhouses one block east, he designed a row of 26 buildings along the north side of the block between Columbus and Amsterdam (then Ninth and Tenth Avenues). There were 25 townhouses between 103 and 151 West 73rd Street. Over the years, 24 of them were demolished to make way for two apartment buildings, 105 and 115 West 73rd Street, a large telephone company building, and the Hamilton at 141 West 73rd Street. (The Hamilton, originally an apartment building, became a welfare hotel that was rehabilitated in 1973 into a residence for senior citizens. It is now run by Project FIND.)
Of the original townhouse row, only No. 103 survives. For the corner lot, Hardenbergh designed a small apartment building at No. 101, which remains. These buildings are lacking in the inspiration that came later, but something about them must have caught developer Edward S. Clark's eye because he continued working with Hardenberg on a number of projects.