|Great Architects of New York: Henry J. Hardenbergh|
|The Whitehall Building
17 Battery Place
New York, N.Y. 10004
Battery Place from West Street to Washington Street (a.k.a. Western Union Plaza), north site
July 15, 1902, to Feb. 10, 1904; a large addition, built in 1910, was designed by Clinton & Russel.
"This colossal bulk offers the best views of the harbor from any of the Battery's older buildings."
This building was designated an individual landmark in 2000.
New York Architecture Images
This building exhibits great use of subtly darker orange used on the center panel, reminiscent of the Textile Building, where, as here, the horizontal scoring is absent. The air around this building was no doubt more fresh, and the neighborhood more lively, before Robert Moses tore down the adjacent block to make way for a Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel ventilation tower. The logical nautical theme appears in the details, alongside some land-based creatures.
The south facade, facing Battery Place, and the west facade facing West Street.